Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Police Officers Lie?

A few years ago I was a temporary employee at a police department in the San Gabriel valley.

One of my duties was to file reports.
While I was doing so I came across a file that contained a line-up-card. Line-up-cards display multiple head-shots and are used to make identification of suspects. On the card one of the mug-shots was circled and written next to it were the words: "she's the one". From the appearance of the line-up-card one would assume that a suspect had been identified by the victim or a witness. Not so. In the report the reporting officer explained that he had marked the card and used it to psychologically confront and pressure the suspect in question.

I wonder how many people have made false confessions because of tactics like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment